A Université de Moncton Continuing Education service for part-time students.


What is Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)?

It is the recognition of theoretical and practical knowledge acquired through paid or unpaid work experience, personal occupations or any other activity that has contributed to personal training.

In fact, under certain conditions (see university regulations), when the knowledge or skills acquired correspond to the content of one or more courses in a university program, this course or these courses can be recognized after evaluation.

Note: this does not refer to equivalencies, which are granted for courses taken at another higher education institution.

Who can benefit from PLAR?


Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) is for people admitted to a program of study, and for full-time and part-time students.

You may be eligible if your experience includes one or more of the following:

  1. Have assumed responsibilities for a certain period of time in the areas of management, planning, organization, writing, intervention, presentation, design or direction.
  2. Have contributed effectively to the work of a team, either in a paid job or as a volunteer.
  3. Published a text on a defined subject.
  4. • Have read extensively on a given subject, or thought long and hard about a situation, project or problem, and been able to talk about it in an organized fashion for 15 to 20 minutes.

The steps

  1. Make sure you have been admitted to a program of study.

    If not, the Continuing Education department on your campus can provide you with information on available programs and help you complete your application.

  2. Take a close look at your program of study and your prior learning and make a list of courses for which you feel you have completed most of the learning they offer.

    To do this, consult the course directory of the Université de Moncton, available at www.umoncton.ca/repertoire/ and choose courses in fields with which you are familiar.

    Keep an up-to-date copy of your resume, listing your jobs, occupations, volunteer activities, hobbies, etc.

    Cross-reference your resume with your program.

  3. Obtain the course outline (also known as the syllabus) for each course for which you wish to apply for prior learning assessment.

    To do so, visit the secretariat of the faculty or school responsible for the course(s), or contact the person responsible for prior learning assessment on your campus.

  4. Gather appropriate evidence or supporting documents.

    For example: a detailed resume; certificates of attendance or proof of workshop registration; your job description and a letter from your superior; newspaper clippings (if, for example, you have been honored at an event related to the acquisition of your skills); photos, video presentations; a list of books you have read; an award, mention or prize you have received. In short, these are documents that will enable the people involved to verify and evaluate your skills and knowledge. These documents must always relate to the course(s) for which you wish to receive credit through prior learning assessment.

  5. 5. Describe what you've learned in relation to the course objectives on your list and prepare your portfolio.

    The aim is to demonstrate how your learning corresponds to that of the courses on the list you have prepared. To do this, write a text for each course explaining how you have achieved the course objectives. You should also refer to your supporting documents (letters from employers, newspaper clippings, etc.), which should be attached to your file. Please note that a supporting document may be used for more than one course. In this case, you must make a photocopy. Once you've completed your application, you'll need to contact Continuing Education on your university campus. If you're not sure whether your file is complete, you can meet with the person responsible for prior learning recognition. If you wish to have your prior learning recognized for several courses, you can prepare your file for one course and have it reviewed by the person in charge before repeating the process with the other courses. Please note that the value of the file is based on its content, not on the number of pages.

  6. 6. Complete the "Request for Prior Learning Assessment" form when your file is ready to be assessed and pay the associated fees.

    Currently, the fee is $40 per credit for undergraduate courses (certificate and bachelor's degree) and $50 per credit (master's degree, graduate diploma, and graduate certificate). You must go to the Continuing Education office on your campus to obtain the form and pay the fee.

    The Continuing Education staff will then forward your file to the people responsible for evaluating your prior learning. Usually, your request will be forwarded to the dean of the faculty or school offering the course. In all cases, Continuing Education will notify you in writing of the results of your application. Here's a summary of the steps you need to take to apply for recognition of prior learning. The Université de Moncton also has a guide to applying for prior learning assessment. This guide will give you more details on the steps to follow, as well as examples and advice on how to complete your application. We encourage you to pick it up at your campus Continuing Education office.


The role of Continuing Education

Continuing Education handles prior learning assessment applications for part-time students at the Université de Moncton.

Continuing Education also provides guidance for students and evaluators. It also handles the routing and management of files.

Rules and regulations

Recognition of prior learning is governed by certain university regulations, which can also be found in the current Directory of the Université de Moncton.

For graduate studies, the recognition of prior learning is governed by specific regulations and is currently only applicable to non-thesis programs. In addition, each application must be approved by the Graduate Studies Committee (GSC) of the faculty or school concerned.

For more information, please consult Continuing Education.

University regulations

Students who feel they have mastered the skills or knowledge related to a course, without having taken the course at a post-secondary institution, may be exempted from the course by the University following an evaluation, and obtain the associated credits. This exemption is based on learning outcomes achieved through paid or unpaid work, or through self-study activities.

This exemption is subject to the following rules:

  • The person makes a request by completing the form provided for this purpose. The request is made for a given program of study and according to the objectives of the course(s) in that program. It is normally made only once, on or after admission to the program.
  • The candidate demonstrates what they have learned. This learning must be measurable and related to the course objectives of a given program.
  • Credits are awarded by the University on the recommendation of the dean or director of the faculty or school responsible for the course, after evaluation by faculty members in the discipline concerned, and in accordance with established application procedures.
  • In total, no more than one quarter of the credits required for a diploma may be awarded through prior learning assessment. Exceptions are authorized by the Vice-Rector of Teaching and Research.
  • Evaluation is based on the award of a Pass (S) or Fail (NS) grade. In the case of Pass (S) only, the grade and credits are recorded in the student's file.
  • A note on the transcript indicates that the credits were obtained through prior learning assessment.
Required fields are indicated by .